Tools Needed: Plastic Spudger, Tweezers, Phillips Head Screwdriver
1. Remove the Bottom Cover / Palmrest
- Remove 12 screws from the bottom cover.
- Turn the Chromebook right side up and open it.
- Push the plastic spudger into the space between the palmrest and bottom cover. Push in until you hear a click.
- Run the spudger around the edge of the palmrest until the palmrest and the bottom cover are separated.
- Turn the Chromebook right side up and remove the bottom cover.
Before removing any internal parts you will have to disconnect the cables that attach them to the other parts. The next few steps will detail this process.
3. Remove the Palmrest and Touchpad Cables
- Push on the sides of the connector with the plastic spudger to separate the cable from the motherboard.
- Place the plastic spudger under the tabs and gently push up.
- Use the tweezers to pull the cable up and away from the motherboard.
Now that all of the cables are disconnected the computer can be disassembled.
8. Remove the Internal Parts
- Remove 7 screws from the inside of the Chromebook.
- Use your hands to gently pull the daughterboard, motherboard, and battery out of the bottom cover off of the palmrest.
- To remove the Wi-Fi card from the motherboard, gently pull it away from the motherboard.
- Use the plastic spudger to separate the speakers from the bottom cover, then remove them.
10. Remove the Palmrest
- Open the chromebook to 90° and flip it so that it’s laying on the LCD back cover as pictured.
- Use your hands to gently on the palmrest until the palmrest and the LCD assembly are separated.
11. Remove the Bezel
- Press a spudger into the space between the bezel and back cover until you hear a click, then run the spudger around the edge of the bezel until the bezel and the back cover are separated.
15. Remove the Camera and Microphone
- Gently push the plastic spudger into the gap between the back cover and the camera board.
- Push up very slowly on both sides of the camera until they separate from the back cover.
- To remove the cable from the camera, use your hand to carefully pull the cable away from the camera.