Tools Needed: Plastic Spudger, Tweezers, Phillips Head Screwdriver
Before removing any internal parts you will have to disconnect the cables that attach them to the other parts. The next few steps will detail this process.
3. Remove the Palmrest and Touchpad Cables
- Push on the sides of the connector of the palmrest with the plastic spudger.
- Use the tweezers to pull the cable up and away from the motherboard.
- Use the plastic spudger to lift the black tab on the connector of the touchpad, then gently pull the cable up and away from the motherboard.
4. Remove the LCD Cable from the Motherboard
- Place the plastic spudger under the connector and push up to separate the cable from the motherboard.
Now that all of the cables are disconnected the computer can be disassembled.
10. Remove the Internal Parts
- Remove 17 screws from the inside of the Chromebook.
- Use your hands to gently push the palmrest up about two inches from the rest of the computer so that the hinges don’t obstruct the removal of other parts.
- Use your hands to gently pull the daughterboard, motherboard, and battery out off of the palmrest.
- To remove the WiFi card from the motherboard, gently pull it away from the motherboard.
- Use the plastic spudger to separate the speakers from the bottom cover, then remove them.
12. Remove the Palmrest
- Open the Chromebook to 90° and flip it so that it’s laying on the LCD back cover as pictured.
- Use your hands to gently on the palmrest until the palmrest and the LCD assembly are separated.
15. Remove the LCD Cable
- Use the tweezers to pull the tape off of the connector on the back of the LCD.
- Use the tweezers to pull the cable out of the connector.
17. Remove the Camera and Microphone
- Gently push the plastic spudger into the gap between the back cover and the camera.
- Push up very slowly on both sides of the camera until they separate from the back cover.
- To remove the cable from the camera, use your hand to carefully pull the cable away from the camera.