Tools Needed: Plastic Spudger, Tweezers, Phillips Head Screwdriver
1. Remove the Bottom Cover / Palmrest
- Remove 9 screws from the bottom cover. Note there are screws under the rubber feet.
- Turn the Chromebook right side up and open it.
- Push the plastic spudger into the space between the palmrest and bottom cover. Push in until you hear a click.
- Run the spudger around the edge of the palmrest until the palmrest and the bottom cover are separated.
Before removing any internal parts you will have to disconnect the cables that attach them to the other parts. The next few steps will detail this process.
5. Remove the LCD Cables from the Motherboard
- Use the tweezers to pull the tape off of the connector.
- Use the plastic spudger to lift the black tab on the connector, then gently pull the cable up and away from the motherboard.
Now that all of the cables are disconnected the computer can be disassembled.
8. Remove the Internal Parts
- Remove 16 screws from the inside of the Chromebook.
Use your hands to gently push up the LCD assembly up from the rest of the computer until separate.
- Use your hands to gently pull the daughterboard, motherboard, and battery out of the bottom cover off of the palmrest.
- To remove the Wi-Fi card from the motherboard, gently pull it away from the motherboard.
- To remove the SSD card from the motherboard, gently pull it away from the motherboard.
9. Remove the Touchpad
- Remove 3 screws from around the edge of the touchpad.
- Carefully remove the tape stuck to the touchpad.
- Gently use the plastic spudger to separate the touchpad from the palmrest.
10. Remove the LCD Module
- Remove the two screws from under the rubber feet on the left and right sides of the bezel.
- Push the plastic spudger into the space between the LCD Module and back cover. Push in until you hear a click.
- Run the spudger around the edge of the back cover until the LCD Module and the back cover are separated.
11. Remove the LCD Cable
- Use the tweezers to pull the tape off of the connector on the back of the LCD.
- Use the tweezers to pull the cable out of the connector.
12. Remove the Camera and Microphone
- Gently push the plastic spudger into the gap between the LCD Module and the camera.
- Push up very slowly on both sides of the camera until they separate from the LCD Module.
- To remove the cable from the camera, use your hand to carefully pull the cable away from the camera.
13. Remove the Hinges from the Back Cover
- Remove 4 screws from around the hinges.
- Gently use the plastic spudger to separate the hinges from the back cover.
- After they are detached, use your hands to pull the hinges away from the bottom cover.
14. Remove the hinges from the hinge cover
- Remove two screws from the hinge cover and open it up.
- Remove two screws from the hinges inside of the hinge cover. Then use your hands to lift the hinges out.