Tools Needed: Plastic Spudger, Tweezers, Phillips Head Screwdriver
1. Remove the Bottom Cover / Palmrest
- Remove nine screws from the bottom cover.
- Turn the Chromebook right side up and open it.
- Push the plastic spudger into the space between the palmrest and bottom cover. Push in until you hear a click.
- Run the spudger around the edge of the palmrest until the palmrest and the bottom cover are separated.
Before removing any internal parts you will have to disconnect the cables that attach them to other parts. The next few steps will detail this process.
2. Remove the Battery Cable
- Use the tweezers to gently pull the battery cable away from the motherboard.
3. Remove the Palmrest and Touchpad Cables
- Place the plastic spudger under the tabs and gently push up.
- Use the tweezers to pull the cable up and away from the motherboard.
4. Remove the LCD Cable from the Motherboard
- Use the tweezers to pull the tape off of the connector.
- Use the plastic spudger to lift the black tab on the connector, then gently pull the LCD cable up and away from the motherboard.
5. Remove the Daughterboard Cable
- Place the plastic spudger under the tab and gently push up.
- Use the tweezers to pull the Daughterboard cable up and away from the motherboard.
6. Remove the Speaker Cable
- Push on the sides of the connector with the plastic spudger to separate the speaker cable from the motherboard.
Now that all of the cables are disconnected the computer can be disassembled.
9. Remove the Internal Parts
- Remove 17 screws from the inside of the chromebook.
- Use your hands to gently pull the daughterboard, motherboard, speakers, and battery out of the bottom cover.
- To remove the WiFi card from the motherboard, gently pull it away from the motherboard.
- When removing the motherboard, use the tweezers to separate the last daughterboard cable from the motherboard.
10. Remove the Bezel
- Press a spudger into the space between the bezel and back cover until you hear a click, then run the spudger around the edge of the bezel until the bezel and the back cover are separated.
11. Remove the LCD Panel
- Remove all four screws on the LCD.
- Use your hands to lift the LCD away from the back cover.
13. Remove the Hinges
- Remove 8 screws from around the hinges.
- Gently use the plastic spudger to separate the hinges from the back cover.
- After they are detached, use your hands to pull the hinges away from the bottom cover.
14. Remove the Camera and Microphone
- Gently push the plastic spudger into the gap between the back cover and the camera.
- Push up very slowly on both sides of the camera until they separate from the back cover.
- To remove the camera cable from the camera, use your hand to carefully pull the cable away from the camera.