Tools Needed: Plastic Spudger, Tweezers, Phillips Head Screwdriver
1. Remove the Bottom Cover / Palmrest
Before removing any internal parts you will have to disconnect the cables that attach them to the other parts. The next few steps will detail this process.
4. Remove the LCD Cable from the Motherboard
- Use the tweezers to pull the tape off of the connector.
- Use the plastic spudger to lift the black tab on the connector, then gently pull the LCD cable up and away from the motherboard.
Now that all of the cables are disconnected the computer can be disassembled.
8. Remove the Touchpad
- Remove 3 screws from around the edge of the touchpad.
- Carefully remove the tape stuck to the touchpad.
- Use your hands to gently push the touchpad through the front of the palmrest.
9. Remove the Internal Parts
- Remove 26 screws from the inside of the Chromebook.
- Use your hands to gently push up the LCD assembly from the rest of the computer.
- Use your hands to gently pull the daughterboard, motherboard, and battery out of the bottom cover off of the palmrest.
- To remove the WiFi card from the motherboard, gently pull it away from the motherboard.
- Use the plastic spudger to separate the speakers from the bottom cover, then remove them.
10. Remove the Hinge Cover trim piece
- Remove the two screws from under the stickers on the left and right sides of the hinge cover trim piece.
- Gently push the plastic spudger into the gap between the two parts until they separate.
- Remove the two screws from under the stickers on the left and right sides of the hinges.
- Use your hands to gently pull the trim piece from the hinges.
- Gently push the plastic spudger into the gap between the back cover and the hinge cover until they separate.
11. Remove the LCD Module
- Remove the three screws from on the bottom of the LCD module.
- Push the plastic spudger into the space between the LCD Module and back cover. Push down until the pieces separate .
- Gently use the plastic spudger to separate the LCD module from the back cover.
14. Remove the Camera and Microphone
- Gently push the plastic spudger into the gap between the LCD Module and the camera.
- Push up very slowly on both sides of the camera until they separate from the LCD Module.
- To remove the cable from the camera, use your hand to carefully pull the cable away from the camera.